Welcome to 6th Grade!
take a look at the homework page for this week’s homework assignments
WEEK OF 3/18-3/22 NEWS
Here is what we worked on in 6th grade this week!
- Fiction/Novel: we completed the novel: The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis and we continue to work on the end of novel project (a book jacket)
- Grammar: compound sentences and appositives
- Non-fiction/Close Reading– article: King Tut’s Eyebrows (Who, what, where, when) and (Prior knowledge, and prediction) strategies for reading informational text and answering text-based questions with evidence
Writing: the research process begins- the students chose their country from the Eastern Hemisphere to research and picked a book (if available) from the SJS library to start the research process
- Reading Buddies– with Kindergarten friends on Friday
- Unit 4: Ancient Egypt- topics: pharaohs, the Valley of the Kings
- Topic: Simple Machines- lever, pulley, screw, wedge, inclined plane and wheel and axle- quiz
- Topic: Ratios and Rates (unit price, comparing rates, constant speed)
- iReady- a computerized program designed to individualize math instruction and assessment began this week
- Topics: Lent
- Activities: 1)40 day Lent challenge homework assignment (how will the students make the most out of the Lenten season by praying, fasting and alms giving) 2) the creation of a private prayer for “Who/what will I be praying for during this Lenten season?”
- Discussion: fasting for Lent? How can it be meaningful and bring us closer to God? What can we give up that will make us a better person in the long term, not just the Lenten season?
contact: Mrs. Rodrigue at firstname.lastname@example.org